Monday, July 13, 2009

Hello everyone. Welcome to my jewelry corner. Make yourself comfortable. It all started when I was just a little girl who had a big sister (11 years older) who took me everywhere with her. This is her picture above. We spent a lot of time together and some of that time was spent collecting worn broken glass pieces from the side of the road. These gems were kept in a shoe box along with other old jewelry pieces. I felt very privileged when I had permission to open the shoe box and look at all of her treasured pieces. Little did I realize that later on in life I would be drawn to creating pieces of jewelry. My sister was a kind and caring person, an extra special sister. She passed away several years ago but she is still with me in spirit. So, when I was thinking about a name for my jewelry line, I knew shoebox had to be a part of it.

My jewelry addiction started about six years ago when a friend of mine was showing me how to make a beaded necklace. It didn’t stop there, next was a bead show and that was the rebirth of my fascination. Most of my learning has come from magazines as well as a number of classes. My library of books and magazines keeps increasing. The best days going to the mail box are when one of my beading/wire magazines are part of the stash!! A couple of years later and by mistake I went to a lamp work bead show. Now my hobby includes a torch and glass to make my own creations. Currently my jewelry hobby includes beading, wire wrap, and creating lamp work beads. Below is a picture of one of my original creations that was entered in the Woodlawn Plantation Needlework Exhibit and won a ribbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment